On the 25th March, the hottest day of the year so far, our group went to a site at Cranebrook. The Council has been working there and discovered some building remains which may, or may not be the site of Samuel Terry’s demolished house.
The house was built in 1820 by Samuel Terry and his wife Rosetta and had been demolished in 1950. They called the house and the estate Mt Pleasant, after which the current suburb is named.
As the site was fenced off and no one was there, we could only see where they had been digging the trench and had discovered the remains. Even so, we took some photos of the site.
We also had a look on the hill where Council had planted the replacement olive trees that had been mistakenly cut down. We were happy to see that at least three of the original trees planted in the 1820’s had regrown.
Professor Ian Jack, a Archaeology Professor from Sydney Uni had been in touch with us, and came to our workshop seeking any information we had on Samuel Terry. He was writing a report on the site, and we were able to provide him with some maps and papers for which he was grateful.
He has since sent us a copy of his report and It is available to be read at our workshop.